Recipe by love4culinary
This is a filling of my own creation! Ive used other recipes as a guide, but this is what I came up with, using all of the flavors that I wanted it to have! ENJOY!! I use Mean Chef's Sour Cream Pastry Sour Cream Pastry and it made 6 nice-sized pies. Cook time is the time it takes to cook the filling. It has nothing to do with the pastry cooking time.
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted,water removed completely
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 medium egg, beaten (if using a large egg, only use about two-thirds of the large egg)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have your spinach defrosted, drained and ready to go (I usually do mine, then throw it in the fridge, having it ready to go once the time comes).
- Take out a nice sized fry pan, and heat your olive oil and your butter to medium-high heat.
- Add your chopped yellow and red onions, and saute for 4 minutes.
- Then add your shallot and garlic, and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine your ricotta and feta- I usually take a fork and press the feta into the ricotta until thoroughly combined.
- Then add your pepper, garlic powder, salt, cayenne and nutmeg to your cheeses and mix well.
- Add your beaten egg to the cheese mixture, and thoroughly combine.
- Finally, add your spinach/onion mixture to your cheese mixture and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Use as a filling to your favorite pastry dough!
- Using Mean Chef's Sour Cream Pastry, I made 6 large-sized individual pastries, and baked at 375 degrees F for approximately 25-30 minutes.