This pizza is designed for the "adult" pallet and a great way to turn leftovers into a wonderful meal for 2. Serve with a side salad and pepperonci for a delightful and quick meal in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 (6 inch) pita bread rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 -3 ounces leftover cooked beef, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly brush the pita rounds with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning blend.
- Preheat remaining oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until onion begins to brown lightly.
- Add the green bell pepper and cook until crisp tender.
- Add the roasted red pepper and leftover roast beef, cook stirring frequently until warm.
- Divide the meat and vegetable mixture evenly between the pita rounds, top with shredded cheeses.
- Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese melted and pita rounds are hot.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve immediately.
Delicious! I didn't want the fact that I had no leftover beef in the house stop me from making this. So I got some Angus roast beef from the local deli. I also used a yellow pepper, as I don't care for the green. :)
Wow, wow, wow, were these ever good! I made these on whole wheat pitas, and added some mushrooms while frying the onion. I had no mozzarella, so used a sharp cheddar, but stayed with the spirit of the recipe and I don't think these changes made any difference in the outcome, so I feel safe in rating it 5 stars. The pitas came out crisp and light, they were a great pizza crust, and the toppings were just the right amount for 2 pitas. This is something I will make many, many times more, what a great way to use up left-over beef! Thanks Paula! :)
Hubby loved this pizza. We did an experimental lunch with several individual pizzas prepared on pita bread. This was one of our favorites. When I went to the cupboard, I didn't have any jarred roasted peppers on hand, so I quickly roasted a red bell over my gas burner. It worked out fine. This is almost like a Philly-style pizza. Thanks for posting.