Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not your ordinary pie recipe. Picture a refreshing rhubarb compote sitting on a wonderfully crisp crust. Perfect for all those warm summer days. Serve with vanilla ice-cream or custard for extra decadence. ;) Chill time of 1 hour is not included in prep time.
- 150 g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 250 g flour
- 50 g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 400 g rhubarb, cut into pieces
- 20 g vanilla pudding mix or 20 g starch
- 25 g honey
- 30 g sugar
- 50 g chopped almonds or 50 g other nuts or 50 g cereal, of your choice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
- For the dough combine butter, flour sugar and salt using the dough hooks of your mixer until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water little by little until a dough forms. Knead shortly, roll into a ball and refrigerate wrappe in cling film for 1 hour.
- For the filling combine rhubarb, honey, sugar, nuts and vanilla pudding powder.
- Divide dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface roll out each of them into a circle of about 16 cm in diameter. Place on a paper-lined baking sheet and top with filling leaving a rim. Then take the edges of the crust and fold over the filling so that a "pie" forms (see pic). Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar to taste.
- If you have leftover filling, just use it in a crumble or another rhubarb recipe of your choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven 200°C/400°F on the second lowest rack for 25-30 minutes.
These are wonderful!! I made a gluten free crust with millet, rice and tapioca flour, xanthan gum, dairy free margarine and one egg white added, and it worked perfectly. For the filling I used one whole package vanilla pudding (40 g) because the thawed rhubarb was so soggy and I had to cook the pudding before spooning it onto the dough, but that worked perfectly, too. The pie tastes great, crunchy crust, only slightly sweet, with the sweet and sour rhubarb custard filling - yummy! Thanks for posting! Made for Sweet Traditions Tag Game December 2009.