Recipe by Manami
To make this breakfast preparation even faster and easier, saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic the night before. This makes a very nice presentation for a brunch or even a luncheon! A little time consuming but it is worth the effort. This recipe is courtesy of Pamela Redmond Satran, a novelist and free lance recipe developer based in Birmingham, Al.
- 1⁄4 lb small red potato
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded lowfat swiss cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (drained)
- 1 3⁄4 cups egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- chives, chopped garnish (optional)
- paprika, spinkled on top garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 25 minutes or till tender.
- Drain; cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2" cubes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in potato, cheese and bacon.
- Combine egg substitue, salt and black pepper.
- Spoon vegetable mixture evenly over 12 muffin cups or 6-oz ramekins coated with cooking spray.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until set.
- Remove from muffin cups and sprinkle with paprika and chopped chives.