Recipe by Atiekay
An easy single serve lunch! Obviously, it can also be doubled/tripled/quadrupled for more. This particular combination is fantastic, but the concept is a versatile one. If you can't find pepperjack cheese, I'd recommend sharp cheddar. And for a crispier crust, lightly toast the pita before adding toppings. **I like to pre-chop vegetables and freeze them for recipes like this. It's easier prep and you don't have to worry about them getting old before you can use them all!
- 1 whole wheat pita bread (round)
- 3 tablespoons red onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 large red pepper, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 green olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your broiler.
- Heat a nonstick skillet(or use olive oil) over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic, and pepper until softened - approximately 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add balsamic vinegar.
- Place pita on a baking sheet and top with the cooked vegetables.
- Add cheese and olive slices.
- Broil until cheese is melted; be sure to monitor it closely! I like mine browned and bubbly:).