Recipe by jenydepp
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. These mini coffee cakes are, light moist and most of their sweetness is derived from the fruit laden topping, rather than the dough. It takes a bit of preparation initially, but in the end, it's worth it.
- Reynolds Wrap Foil, cut into 8 x8 inch square sheets
- 1 drinking glass, which is 3 inches in diameter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk (room temperature)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 (7 g) packet instant yeast
- 4 large pears (peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced almonds (slightly crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- One at a time, place the drinking glass in the center of one sheet of foil. Gather up all four sides around the bottom of the glass to form a cup and fan out the corners like petals around a flour. Remove glass. The foil sheet should now have the shape of a cup with the corners fanning out. Repeat this step with the remaining 7 sheets of foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients for the coffee cake in order in a the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the dough hook, combine the dough till it scrapes the side of the bowl. Knead in the bowl till the dough is smooth ( roughly 3-5 minutes). Place in a slightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, sauté pears, honey , butter and cinnamon in a saucepan on medium heat, until pears are tender and cooked through ( you should be able to slide a sharp knife through easily, but do not over cook them to the point of mushiness). Let cool.
- After dough has risen, remove it from the bowl, punch it down and let rest for 5 minutes. Section dough off into 8 pieces, gather gently into balls, and place one in foil mold. Evenly divide the pear filling on top of each cake and sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
- Place on a sheet pan. Let rise and additional 15 minutes.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. While cakes are baking, mix powdered sugar, milk and lemon zest together in a bowl to make the glaze.
- Once cakes are almost completely cool drizzle with glaze.