Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Juicy chunks of fruit and a tender biscuit topping make for an ideal blend of taste and texture. Serve along with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 lb peach, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter four 6-ounce custard cups.
- Prepare filling: Combine peaches, sugar, almond extract, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into custard cups.
- Prepare topping: Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor fashion until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture comes together, adding more milk, a tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Spoon topping evenly over peach filling. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Place custard cups on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven 20 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Tent with foil if tops begin to brown to quickly. Serve warm or at room temperature.