Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These dessert cakes are from a wonderful dessert cookbook from New Zealand given to me by friend Jen T from Zaar. I haven't allowed for standing time in preparation time, because overnight would be best.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium orange, finely grated zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (350 F) or 170 deg C fan forced (325 F).
- Measure sugar, oil, eggs and zest into a food processor and blend until pale and creamy.
- Add orange juice and vanilla and process again, then add salt and flour, process just enough to make a fairly smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between six non stick sprayed muffin tins or other moulds and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown.
- While cakes cook prepare the syrup by mixing the hot water, sugar and zest together in a small microwave bowl and heat for about 3 minutes on high, stirring occasionally, until the mixture boils and the sugar dissolves.
- Remove cakes from the oven, stand for 2-3 minutes before inverting onto a plate and removing the tins.
- Drizzle syrup evenly over the hot cakes, about 2 tablespoons per cake.
- Leave standing an hour, or overnight if possible, before cutting and serving with whipped cream or ice-cream.
It's very similar to one my mom makes, which we all love. I made this in a 9-inch round instead of muffin cups and did not make the syrup.I used all purpose flour and 3 tsp of baking powder instead of self-raising flour, and no zest. I took it out of the oven at 25 mins because the toothpick came out clear in the centre but had to put it in for at least another 20 for the rest of the cake to cook through. I recommend checking at 40 mins. The cake is quite sweet. Thanks!