1/1 Photo of Individual Orange Syrup Cakes
These dessert cakes are from a wonderful dessert cookbook from New Zealand given to me by friend Jen T from Zaar. I haven't allowed for standing time in preparation time, because overnight would be best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium orange, finely grated zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (350 F) or 170 deg C fan forced (325 F).
- 2Measure sugar, oil, eggs and zest into a food processor and blend until pale and creamy.
- 3Add orange juice and vanilla and process again, then add salt and flour, process just enough to make a fairly smooth batter.
- 4Divide the batter evenly between six non stick sprayed muffin tins or other moulds and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown.
- 5While cakes cook prepare the syrup by mixing the hot water, sugar and zest together in a small microwave bowl and heat for about 3 minutes on high, stirring occasionally, until the mixture boils and the sugar dissolves.
- 6Remove cakes from the oven, stand for 2-3 minutes before inverting onto a plate and removing the tins.
- 7Drizzle syrup evenly over the hot cakes, about 2 tablespoons per cake.
- 8Leave standing an hour, or overnight if possible, before cutting and serving with whipped cream or ice-cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Individual Orange Syrup Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 546.1
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 218.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 62.3 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of