Recipe by Ariella
I based this recipe on the onion noodle kugel posted by Chia. I altered it to meet my husband's sensibilities and now I am curious as to how those changes affected the nutritional info. If you are serving the kugels as a main dish, then I'd serve two to each person, otherwise, one per person is probably about right if you are serving them as a side dish.
- 6 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- Cook noodles in a pot of boiling salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl and stir in noodles, sour cream, and cottage cheese. Lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper, then stir into noodle mixture until combined well.
- Divide mixture among muffin cups and sprinkle breadcrumbs over each cup. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Loosen edges of kugels with a thin knife and cool kugels in pan 5 minutes before serving.