Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Baked in coffee cups, this fun and tasty mocha-flavored bread pudding is a simple affair but by no means plain. Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- butter, for greasing cups
- 4 -5 slices firm white bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares (Pepperidge Farm Hearty White recommended)
- 3 tablespoons chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- cocoa powder
- Whisk the eggs and 1/3 cup sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, 1 cup of heavy cream, espresso and vanilla. Transfer to a large measuring cup.
- Place four 1-cup oven-safe coffee cups or ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Grease cups with butter.
- Arrange 4 bread squares in the bottom of each cup, overlapping the pieces so they fit snugly. Sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of the chocolate.
- Make a second layer using 4-5 bread pieces and top with remaining chocolate.
- Gently pour custard equally over the tops. Let set for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake until pudding is set but still wobbly when shaken, 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes or to room temperature.
- Make topping by beating together sugar and cream until soft peaks form. Dollop atop puddings, dust with cocoa and serve immediately.