Recipe by Ms B.
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance. Bon appetit - Babbo Restaurant
- 2⁄3 cup raw sugar (about)
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mascarpone cheese
- fresh berries (optional)
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter twelve 3/4-cup custard cups.
- Sprinkle raw sugar in each buttered cup, turning to coat bottom and sides and tapping out excess raw sugar.
- Arrange prepared custard cups in large roasting pan.
- Bring maple syrup to boil in heavy large deep saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until maple syrup is reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes (syrup will bubble vigorously).
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in whipping cream (mixture will bubble up high).
- Return saucepan to medium heat and simmer until any crystallized bits dissolve and mixture is reduced to 1 cup, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then beat in vanilla extract.
- Add mascarpone cheese and beat just until blended and smooth.
- Add cooled maple syrup mixture to cheese mixture and beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared custard cups, dividing equally.
- Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of custard cups.
- Bake until cheesecakes are light golden on top and centers move slightly when custard cups are gently shaken, about 1 hour.
- Cool in water bath 15 minutes.
- Remove custard cups from water bath.
- Refrigerate uncovered overnight.
- (Cheesecakes can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.) Run small sharp knife around sides of cheesecakes to loosen.
- Place dessert plate atop 1 cheesecake.
- Invert cheesecake onto plate; shake gently to release.
- Repeat with remaining cheesecakes.
- Garnish each with fresh berries and fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
- Serve cold.