Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These warm, light as a feather soufflés hold their shape for a good 5 minutes before starting to deflate.
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Grease 6 3/4 cup ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar evenly over ramekins. Place on baking sheet; set aside.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk until smooth; cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in half of the remaining sugar and the lime rind. Whisk in egg yolks, 1 at a time. Return to heat and cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in lime juice. Transfer to large bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Fold one-quarter into yolk mixture; gently fold in remaining whites.
- Divide among prepared ramekins. Bake in center of 375°F oven for about 15 minutes or until puffed and almost firm to the touch.
- GARNISH: Dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.