Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Recipe4Living.com
Flaky Pie Pastry
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar (or more to taste)
- 12 ounces cranberries, picked over and coarsely chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1⁄3 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (about 5 medium-large)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt, add the butter, and blend the mixture with your fingertips or two knives until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the shortening and blend the mixture until it resembles meal. Add the ice water, tossing the mixture with a fork, and adding more water if necessary to form a soft but not sticky dough. Shape the dough into a ball.
- The dough may be rolled out immediately or wrapped in waxed paper and chilled, for up to 2 days. The dough may be frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, for up to 1 month.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cranberries, apples, walnuts, raisins, orange juice, the zest, and the flour and toss gently. Divide the filling among 8 individual pie tins or soufflé cups.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough in a rectangle 1/8- inches thick. Cut out 8 rounds 1/3 inches larger than pie tins or soufflé cups and cut 1 slit in the middle. Put a pastry round on top of each cup and brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Pressing with the tines of a fork, seal the pastry to the rim of the cups. Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake the pies in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 400 degrees F. and bake the piece for 10 minutes more, or until the crusts are golden.