Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an OLD recipe from Armour Star Lard handed down from my grandmother. My grandfather used to work for Armour. I substitute shortening for the lard!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup lard, melted (I use shortening)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Combine slightly beaten eggs and milk and add to dry ingredients.
- Add melted shortening and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full of batter.
- Combine topping ingredients and and sprinkle evenly over each cake.
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes.
- For the Vegetarian option use Vegetable shortening.
These are so tender and tasty!! I doubled the batch and got 18 cakes. I used Recipe #87689 since I didn't have any cake flour and it worked great. I put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mixed them with a whisk instead of sifting them together. The only thing I would recommend is, make sure you combine the sugar and cinnamon before adding the pecans. I store my pecans in the freezer so all the cinnamon stuck to them rather than mixing with the sugar when I put all three ingredients together. We still loved them but it did make the pecans a bit 'strong'. An excellent recipe! Thanks Karen!
These are delightful! I just love coffee cake so this recipe was right up my alley. I added a few raisins to some of the muffins, and that is a nice addition too. I got 10 muffins out of this. Thanks for the recipe!
My dh was over the moon Karen, he was in heaven. Best mini coffee cake, he has ever had. These little gems were moist and tender, with a lovely crumb and flavor. Thanks for sharing a new family favorite. The coffee cakes were quick and easy to make. I made half the recipe and ended up with 6 lovely treats.