Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an OLD recipe from Armour Star Lard handed down from my grandmother. My grandfather used to work for Armour. I substitute shortening for the lard!
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Combine slightly beaten eggs and milk and add to dry ingredients.
- Add melted shortening and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full of batter.
- Combine topping ingredients and and sprinkle evenly over each cake.
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes.
- For the Vegetarian option use Vegetable shortening.
These are delightful! I just love coffee cake so this recipe was right up my alley. I added a few raisins to some of the muffins, and that is a nice addition too. I got 10 muffins out of this. Thanks for the recipe!
My dh was over the moon Karen, he was in heaven. Best mini coffee cake, he has ever had. These little gems were moist and tender, with a lovely crumb and flavor. Thanks for sharing a new family favorite. The coffee cakes were quick and easy to make. I made half the recipe and ended up with 6 lovely treats.
WOW! I had saved this recipe FOREVER & this am broke it out... What a FABULOUS crumbcake! I did add 1t vanilla extract to the mix but otherwise made as directed (using good old Armour lard LOL - we keep it for pastry & seasoning our pans). The texture & taste is just like the little coffee cakes we used to get as kids from a local bakery. Next time I'll stir in a few raisins for fun. This is going into the "Make for House Guests" cookbook too! Thank you Karen =^..^=!