Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The yummy melted center comes from a Lindt truffle. Delicious served hot with whipped cream. Adapted from a recipe in a Holland America cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly butter and flour 4 ramekins or Corel mugs.
- Melt the chocolate, butter and salt in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine egg yoks and 3 Tbsp sugar. Beat until light and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Fold the chocolate into the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry.
- With rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Divide about 1/4 of the batter into the 4 ramekins.
- Place a truffle on top in the centre and cover with the remaining batter.
- (The cakes can be covered and refrigerated up to 4 hours at this point. Bring to room temperature before baking.).
- Bake for 11 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around the sides of the cakes and invert onto plantes.
- Garnish with whipped cream.
This is a great basic recipe - it seemed to me that smaller ramekins are necessary for this recipe - made 12 cakes and used 7 oz. and 3.5 oz. ramekins and kind of had to stretch the batter in the end. Also, tempering the egg yolk with a small portion of the chocolate is the way I've always mixed a warm ingredient into egg yolk so it doesn't prematurely cook the egg. Other then that, the cooking time and temp was perfect and the rest of the directions were easy to follow. This was a big hit for my husband's birthday last night! We served it with whipped cream and a raspberry sauce (my kids called the sauce the "lava") - thanks for sharing Paja!