Chef Kate's Note:
These souffles are very rich and luscious. The base can be made ahead, but there's no avoiding the last minute nature of this--you must serve as soon as they are ready. Your guests will, I am sure, find the wait worthwhile.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To prepare the base, heat the orange juice to lukewarm in a heavy saucepan.
- 2Whisk the egg yolks with 3 ounces (90 grams) of the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the flour and warm orange juice, then return the mixture to the saucepan.
- 3Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from the heat.
- 4Stir in the chocolate until completely melted. Stir in the liqueur. Cover this base mixture with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Hold for use at room temperature. (Unused base can be kept overnight in the refrigerator; it should be brought to room temperature before mixing with the egg whites.).
- 5To prepare the soufflés, brush 4-fluid-ounce (120-milliliter) sized ramekins with melted butter and dust with granulated sugar.
- 6Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a sheet pan in the oven, onto which you will place the soufflés for baking. (This makes it easier to remove the hot soufflé cups from the oven.).
- 7Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks with the remaining 1 ounce (30 grams) of sugar. Fold the whites into the chocolate base and spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins. The ramekins should be filled to within 1/4 inch (6 millimeters) of the rim.
- 8Smooth the top of each soufflé with a spatula and bake immediately.
- 9The soufflés are done when well risen and golden brown on top and the edges appear dry, approximately 12 minutes. Do not touch a soufflé to test doneness.
- 10Sprinkle the soufflés with powdered sugar if desired and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Individual Chocolate Orange Souffles
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 117.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: