Eggs should be at room temperature. Swiss cheese is good too but change the seasonings a bit -tarragon is good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, SEPARATED
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Coat 4 (6 ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs, tilting and turning dishes to coat sides completely.
- 3In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- 5Sprinkle with flour.
- 6Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to pull away from pan.
- 7Gradually whisk in milk.
- 8Return to medium heat; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Whisk in a large bowl, the egg yolks, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and garlic powder.
- 11Temper the yolk mixture, by putting some of it into the onion milk sauce, then add all the onion milk sauce back into large bowl of yolks.
- 12In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form that do not fall over when the whisk is lifted.
- 13Gently fold the egg whites and Cheddar into cooled sauce in large bowl.
- 14Divide mixture evenly among four custard cups.
- 15Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- 16Put custard cups on a baking sheet so that they are easier to handle.
- 17Bake for 20 minutes.
- 18Souffle should still be moist in center; do not overcook and yes it will fall but that is the nature of a souffle.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Individual Cheese Souffles
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.2
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 192.1 mg
- Sodium 467.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 13.3 g