Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
As easy to make as they are delicious! One of my favorite summer treats using fresh Maine blueberries, from My Great Recipes.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Pick over and wash berries. Place in saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar, lemon rind and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour equal amounts into 4 greased tart pans.
- Cream butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to creamed mixture along with the milk. Beat until smooth. Spoon batter over hot blueberries.
- Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes or until browned. Serve warm, plain or with ice cream (family favorite) or whipped cream.
I was looking for a recipe for a cobbler topping that contained milk and eggs, and decided to give this one a try. VERY glad I did. The topping was just the texture and flavor I was looking for (I did add a little cinnamon by request of my dinner guests). Ended up making way more fruit mixture than I needed for 4 custard cups - I was using frozen strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, AND blueberries and got carried away... :). So I ended up making everything in an 8x8 cake pan. I sort of just plopped the dough on top and baked a bit longer to accommodate the larger size and it turned out PERFECT. Thank you for sharing!! ... Edited to say - I used ALL brown sugar where white sugar was called for, just a personal preference when baking.
This was good. I used some berries we had frozen over the summer. It was very easy to make. I even made a cherry one for my son with pie filling and the recipe topping. Thanks Julie.