Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting this as a request for ZWT II...haven't tried it yet, so let me know how it is!!
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 ounces liver pate, 4 slices (plain or with truffles or green peppercorns)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Spread both sides of steaks with 1 teaspoon butter each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Chill 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms. Saute over medium heat until cooked and dry. Turn out onto plate. Cool.
- Roll out 4 pastry shells to 8 inch diameter. Place 1/4 of the mushrooms in the center of each. Spread to cover a 2 to 3 inch area. Top each with 1 slice pate, if used. Place 1 steak on top of each.
- Bring pastry up over steak. Wrap completely. Brush with water. Seal. Place, seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Roll out remaining pastry rounds to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes.
- To make glaze, in a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Brush over pastry-wrapped steaks.
- Cut 3 air vents in each. Decorate with pastry cut-outs. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until.