Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here's a recipe that takes a little while to prepare, but it's great for a dinner party or a romantic dinner for 2.
- 8 (4 ounce) filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages puff pastry
- 8 ounces liverwurst or 8 ounces pate
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup red wine (I prefer Bordeaux)
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- Brown filets in olive oil.
- Cut pastry into 8 squares (8 inches by 8 inches).
- Combine liverwurst (or pate) with parsley and chives.
- Coat the filets in the liverwurst mixture and place on pastry squares.
- Brush the pastry with egg and fold over the filet; brush the exterior with remaining egg.
- Place the Wellingtons on a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and cok the onion and mushrooms.
- Add flour, tomato paste, sugar, wine, and broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the suace over the Wellingtons.