Prep 30 mins
Cook 27 mins
For an elegant dinner party. Part do ahead. Very impressive.
- 1 lb medium mushroom, CLEANED
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (4 lb) beef rib eye roast
- 3 eggs, separated
- 8 sticks pie crusts
- flour, for rolling pie crust
- You will also need: stockinette covered rolling pin pastry cloth; cookie sheet, pastry dough brush.
- Remove stems from 12 mushrooms and set aside. Mince remaining mushrooms and stems. Heat skillet over medium heat, adding butter, chopped mushrooms and onion. Saute 5 minutes or until onions are tender and all liquid has evaporated. Stir in bread crumbs, salt, pepper and thyme. Cool completely.
- Trim fat from roast. Cut meat lengthwise in half. Slice each half crosswise in 5 equal pieces. Pat pieces dry with paper towel. Beat egg whites with 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl. Prepare piecrust mixes as labels direct, but make up all packages at once. Divide pastry into 5 equal pieces. On floured pastry cloth, with stockinette-covered rolling pin, roll one piece into a 14" x 11" rectangle; cut into 2 rectangles about 6 1/2" x 10"; reserve scraps. Place 1/3 cup mushroom mixture about 2" from 6 1/2" end of rectangle. Top with piece of meat. Sprinkle meat lightly with salt. Top with one whole mushroom. Brush egg white mixture along edges of pastry. Fold pastry over meat and mushroom, overlapping edges. Press lightly to seal edges.
- Place pastry-wrapped meat on a large cookie sheet. Keep refrigerated while preparing remaining meat pieces.
- Roll out remaining scraps of pastry. With sharp knife or small canape cutter, cut pastry into designs. Brush back of designs with egg-white mixture. Arrange on top of pastry. Refrigerate until baking time. About 35 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a cup, beat egg yolks with 2 teaspoon water. Brush over pastry. Bake 25 minutes for rare, 27 minutes for medium doneness. With pancake turner, place Wellingtons on a warm platter.