Comfort food - warm, gooey, appley, and just for you! Good way to use up old bread and apples, too. Note: when DH makes this he puts brown sugar and butter (mixed to crumbly) topping on this and they are even better.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease four 6 oz ramekins (butter, shortening, or Pam) and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Melt butter, then mix with cubed bread.
- Mix lemon juice. brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then mix with sliced apples.
- Press 1/8th of bread mixture into bottom of each ramekin, cover with 1/8th of apple mixture, repeat. Pour any leftover liquid over top. (bread, apples, bread, apples in each ramekin).
- Place ramekins on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 40-50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Wow, was this flavorful. We loved it sheepdoc. I had never made a Brown Betty before, what a treat we were in for....so yummy. Quick and really easy to make with excellent results. I served mine plain and the dh had ice cream on his. We both really enjoyed the taste and texture of this lovely treat. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that I will make again. Made for Spring Pac 2014.
This was pretty tasty. I made it just as the recipe stated except that I don't have any 6 oz ramekins, so I put it in some 8 oz and 12 oz glass containers I had. I would like to note that I used 4 medium to largish apples and it was way too much apple. I filled my 4 little containers plus had enough sliced apple left to make an apple crisp in a 6x6 dish. At first, I though it was ok, but I usually like something a little sweeter. But the next day, I really liked it. I think because I had used the entire 4 apples in the sugar mixture and then didn't use them in the recipe it diluted the sweetness, if that makes sense. I had never made a brown betty before and was actually a little skeptical that I would like it, although I do like all the ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised, thank you! I made it for PAC Fall 2012.