Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Individual servings of sweet apple Brown Bettys. Plain biscuits add a nice crunch to the pudding-like layers. Measurements of the sugar are not exact as they will vary depending on your preferences.
- 4 cooking apples
- 50 g sultanas
- 200 ml apple juice
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 biscuits (Nice, Scotch Finger)
- 2 teaspoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, heat on low the apple juice, golden syrup and sultanas. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on and for 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Meanwhile, Cut the crust off of the bread and add to a mixer along with the two biscuits and cinnamon. Mix until a mixture of small breadcrumbs forms. Set aside.
- Peel apples and grate them. Squeeze out excess juice. Set aside in a bowl.
- To the bowl of grated apples add the sultanas and two tablespoons of the apple syrup.
- Butter the bottoms and sides of four 6oz ramekins . Sprinke with brown sugar. Place a layer of apple on the bottom followed by a layer of breadcrumbs. Dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Place another layer of apple on top followed by the final layer of breadcrumbs and a dusting of brown sugar. (note: you may have to push down layers to fit all of ingredients).
- Pour two tablespoons of the apple syrup over the top of the Brown Bettys and place in the oven for 15 minutes covered with foil, and then 15 minutes uncovered.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream or cream.