Recipe by Wildflour
A very unique, sweet and spicy southern pie! *Use less brown sugar (1/2 cup) and tart apples for a tart pie. For medium-sweet use all the brown sugar and tart apples (Granny Smith), or less brown sugar and baking apples. For a sweet pie, use all the brown sugar and baking apples. HTH! :)
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 4 cups green tomatoes, finely chopped and not peeled
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour, use 2 if tomatoes are juicy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves, less if desired
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chopped apples with lemon juice. Combine with chopped tomatoes.
- In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and spices.
- Stir in chopped apples and tomatoes to coat.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover pie with foil, and bake in 375 oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake 25-30 minutes longer.