Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Note: This dish is sweet. From James Peterson.
- 2 lbs winter squash
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- Use acorn or buttercup squash.
- Soak the saffron in the water.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut squash in half or quarter if very large. scoop out seeds.
- Place flesh side down in baking dish. Do not let overlap. Pour water into dish to come up 1/4 inch on squash. Cover with foil. Bake about 1 hour.
- Let oven on.
- Let squash cool and scoop out pulp. Cut into rough cubes about 3/4 inch.
- Toss squash with all the other ingredients but the almonds. Spread in a 6 cup or large gratin dish. You want a layer 3/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle on the almonds. Bake 30 minutes.
- It should be bubbling and thick and the almonds golden brown.
- If almonds brown too quickly turn oven to 325F and bake slightly longer.
- Serve immediately.