Recipe by DebySharma
This is a famous Indian dessert, popularly known as Kheer. Made with Vermicelli and condensed milk.
- 1 liter milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 200 g vermicelli
- 2 leaves bay leaves
- 2 -3 green cardamom pods
- 5 tablespoons raisins or 5 tablespoons dried fruit
- 50 g jaggery, enhances the flavor (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- I simmered 1 lit of milk in a pot for at least 20 -25mins. Never bringing it to a boil, but on simmer only so that the water content reduces in the milk and we have a more condensed version of it. After about 15 minutes, I added 4 Tbsp of sugar and kept stirring the milk. After 25 mins, I added 3 pods of green cardamom, 2 bay leaves, and a handful of raisins. Then plopped in the Vermicelli and mixed the ingredients.
- Before adding these, I had fried the Vermicelli, Cardamom and Bay Leaf in a separate pan, with a little bit of Oil or Ghee. I had lightly fried the Vermicelli into a medium brown color.
- I turned off the flame, and added about 50g of brown jaggery Gur , and closed the pan with a lid, to allow the flavor to infuse and the jaggery to melt. With the flame on, the jaggery would have curdled the milk, but this pudding tastes great with the jaggery.
- Transfer into a bowl and add a few pistachios on top. It can be eaten warm, but it tastes even better after chilling for a few hours.