ZWT 6. An Indian recipe by Revathy Kumar. We tried this and liked it very much. We had it with barbecued chicken that was seasoned simply with onion paste mixed with smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and a cucumber salad.
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 serrano chili, slit
- 2.46 ml garlic paste
- 2.46 ml ginger paste
- 354.88 ml long grain or 354.88 ml basmati rice
- 236.59 ml tomato puree
- 4.92 ml tomato sauce
- 1.23 ml dried clove, powdered
- 1.23 ml garam masala
- 4.92 ml red chili powder
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 354.88 ml water
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped finely (scallions)
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, chopped fine (coriander)
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat butter or oil in pan and add garlic and ginger pastes. Stir and add onions and green chile. Cook until onion is well cooked.
- Add rice. Stir, and add dried clove, garam masala, chilli powder, sugar, tomato puree, tomato sauce, salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add water, taste for seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer until rice is almost done.
- Very gently fold in chopped spring onions and cilantro about 5 minutes before rice is done.
This is a nice rice dish, with lots of good flavors from the seasonings and the chile. It also has a great color with the red of the rice and the green of the cilantro and scallions added at the end. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8