Recipe by Pesto lover
ZWT 6. An Indian recipe by Revathy Kumar. We tried this and liked it very much. We had it with barbecued chicken that was seasoned simply with onion paste mixed with smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and a cucumber salad.
Top Review by Starrynews
This is a nice rice dish, with lots of good flavors from the seasonings and the chile. It also has a great color with the red of the rice and the green of the cilantro and scallions added at the end. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 serrano chili, slit
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain or 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried clove, powdered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped finely (scallions)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine (coriander)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat butter or oil in pan and add garlic and ginger pastes. Stir and add onions and green chile. Cook until onion is well cooked.
- Add rice. Stir, and add dried clove, garam masala, chilli powder, sugar, tomato puree, tomato sauce, salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add water, taste for seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer until rice is almost done.
- Very gently fold in chopped spring onions and cilantro about 5 minutes before rice is done.