Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from a handout at my local supermarket and recommends serving over cooked rice or eaten as a side dish to a meat entree.
- 1⁄3 cup red lentil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (search out rasam powder)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 serrano chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium v8 juice
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lentil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee in pot over medium heat. Add zest, rasam powder and mustard seeds and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the carrots, chili and ginger and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the V8 juice and 3 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Add the zucchini, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tamarind paste, turmeric powder and the sugar. Simmer 5 minutes more. Stir in the lentils and the cilantro and simmer 5 more minutes.