I love these for a change from regular tacos or burritos. Top with green chili instead of salsa if desired.
- 1 lb fried hamburger
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 3 teaspoons diced mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, heated
Separate Toppings if desired
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- sliced black olives
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- hot oil (for frying)
- Mix the first 10 ingredients in a large sauce pan or skillet.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or until fry bread is done.
- While this is simmering make fry bread.
- Fry Bread:.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Lightly stir in milk.
- Add more flour as necessary to make a dough you can handle.
- Knead and work the dough on a floured board with floured hands until smooth.
- Pinch off fist-sized lumps and shape into a flat disk shape.
- Fry in fat (about 375°) until golden and done on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place hot fry bread on a plate.
- Spread a layer of refried beans.
- Top with meat sauce and shredded cheese.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, etc. if desired.