Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good soup for using up vegetables, makes a great start to a meal.
Make and share this Indian Summer Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled &,diced
- 3 medium celery ribs, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 small new potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small yellow squash, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 4 ounces green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large stock-pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion, cover.
- cook for 5 minutes until onion softens.
- Add rest of ingredients, cook for 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve in bowls with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
An excellent soup! This was the start to our dinner tonight. I substituted the chicken stock with water(Used 10 cups of water in total). I also substituted the yellow squash with 1 medium-sized yellow bell pepper. I omitted the zucchini and dried basil as I didn't have those on hand. Also, since we're all overweight in the family and fighting the bulge, I didn't top it with parmesan cheese at the end. What I really liked was that this soup used all fresh veggies, tomatoes(really good, worked like the winning ingredient here!) and black pepper. Black pepper does enhance the taste of this soup tremendously. My mom in particular says THANK YOU to YOU for this recipe(She's been suffering a bad cold for a long time now and is just getting better since yesterday). This makes a real huge quantity - There were 5 of us who had this for dinner tonight and we still have a serving or two in the pot. I'll surely share this recipe with everyone I possibly can - infact, of the 2 guests we had for dinner tonight, one even did ask me while having his bowl of soup, for the recipe:) My dad said he wants to have a bowl of this everyday, he said he absolutely loved it, since the ingredients were all fresh and a nutritious lot. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for sharing a great Indian soup with us.