Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this more than-a-little-tweaked recipe was found in the Nov 2003 cookbooklet Crisco Best Recipes -- Year-Round Holiday Magic. Although my mom passed her great pumpkin bread recipe on to me, this one is right up there along side!
Top Review by Katzen
Superb!! Other than being heavy on the orange zest, and using golden raisins instead of dark ones, I followed the ingredient list right on down. Strangely, I couldn't find my second loaf pan, so I chose to use my bundt pan and make it a little prettier. What a beatiful cake this is, and the flavours are incredible, too. This was a wonderful reminder of cool fall days in the middle of the hot & humid summer. Thanks, Syd - this one's a keeper! Made for PRMR Tag.
FOR THE BREAD
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, minced
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 6 teaspoons orange juice
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1⁄8 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE BREAD ~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then spray two 9-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt, then set aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl, combine pumpkin, oil, sugar & eggs, mixing until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients & mix well.
- With a wooden spoon stir in walnuts, raisins & orange zest.
- Divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans & bake 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven & cool in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes, before removing from pans to cool completely on wire rack.
- FOR THE GLAZE ~ In a small bowl, combine powdereed sugar, orange zest & orange juice, stirring with a spoon to blend.
- Spoon over top of cooled loaves.
- FOR THE GARNISH ~ If desired, sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of glaze.
- Slice, serve & enjoy!