Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a recipe card at the local supermarket.
Make and share this Indian Style Vindaloo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add chicken pieces and fry, stirring, until browned. Pour in the vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar; stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Season with red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste the sauce at this point and adjust seasoning to taste. The sauce should be very sweet. If it is too tart, add more sugar; if it is too sweet, add more vinegar.
- Once the sauce is to your liking, add the mushrooms, peas, and green onions. Simmer gently over low heat for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms shrink a bit.
- Stir together the cornstarch and water, and stir it into the sauce. Continue to simmer until it reaches the desired thickness. Serve with hot cooked rice.