1/2 Photos of Indian-Style Rice Salad
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Found several interesting looking rice salads in the NY Times on July 30, 2008 by Mark Bittman (the minimalist). He says rice salads are among the few salads that don't deteriorate after the dressing is added, so they can be dressed minutes or hours ahead. He recommends that you cook the rice a bit in advance, and dress it before it gets too cold. He also recommends that you cook the rice like a pasta, in abundant salted water (for between 15 and 45 minutes, depending on the rice) and then drain it and dress it when the rice is cool enough to handle. Cooking time is for white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 cups brown rice or 1 1/2-2 cups white basmati rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup scallion, chopped
- 3/4 cup potato, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup cauliflower floret, cooked
- 3/4 cup green peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or more)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (to taste)
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced (or to taste) (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1Cook potato, cauliflower and peas, if necessary.
- 2Cook rice in abundant salted water, as you would pasta, until it's just done; white will take 10-15 minutes, brown 30 minutes or more. Drain, rinse in cold water, drain again, then combine with vegetables in a large bowl.
- 3Combine black pepper, coconut milk, rice vinegar and curry powder in a blander and turn machine on; a creamy emulsion will form within 30 seconds. Taste and add more vinegar a teaspoon or two at a time until balance tastes right to you, then add more curry powder, salt or pepper, if needed.
- 4Drizzle vinaigrette over rice and vegetables. Use 2 big forks to combine, fluffing rice and tossing gently to separate grains. Stir in jalapeno if using and cilantro, taste and adjust seasoning or moisten with a little more dressing. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate up to a day, bringing salad back to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian-Style Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 8.7 g