Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
A good side dish to go along with curried meats or as part of a vegetarian meal.
Make and share this Indian-Style Potatoes - Khatta Aloo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (amount to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked diced new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet heat cumin, caraway, cuminseed, ground coriander in the oil only until fragrant, swirling the pan.
- Add the onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, hot chile, and ginger, and cook until the onion is tender.
- Add the turmeric and cayenne to the pan and mix into the onion mixture before adding the potatoes and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the dish through until hot and garnish with the cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot.
We left all of the burn out of this recipe as a few of us cant handle the heat. I was planning on using sweet potato as another foodie suggested but forgot to grab them so we will have to try it next time TY Sue
I made it for dinner today and we didn't have any leftovers. I have to disagree with those who thought it was too spicy.It was just right for our taste. I followed the recipe exactly and only substituted lemon juice for lime juice. It is a nice side dish or a vegetarian entree. Will make it again,only double the recipe.Thank you.
What a yummy dish! Shhhh... don't tell anyone, but we prepared it with sweet potato.... the mixture of sweet and spicy was heavenly!