Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another recipe to serve as a side for an Indian meal. Vegetarian and gluten-free. Posting for ZWT
- 280 g button mushrooms, sliced thickly (10 oz)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (not Mexican style chili powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives, for presentation
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and chilli and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes. The onion should be soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and tomato puree. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Sprinkle the water evenly over the mushrooms and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- The sauce should have thickened, but if it appears runny, cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes, or until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the snipped chives and serve.
I wrote a review and it has vanished !! So once again this is a fab, versatile recipe and goes with rice, pasta, on toast, with quinoa - anything really ! i give 10 stars for tastiness and versatility. I did add a half a sad, chopped red pepper that was loitering in the fridge. Made for ZWT8.