Prep 12 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From the Bin Inn Bulk Food Market in Timaru, NZ
- 200 g mung beans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 100 g mushrooms
- Wash and soak the mung beans overnight.
- Rinse and drain and then place in a pot with enough water to cover them.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the tumeric, cumin and coriander and fry until they turn brown.
- Add the mustard.
- Add onion, mushrooms and tomato and cook for 5 minues.
- Add the mixture to the mung beans and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Excellent, simple and delicious. I used whole ming and got a chunky stylish dahl to be proud of.
Totally delicious. I omitted the mushrooms since I didn't have any and added 1tsp coriander powder. A very tasty, healthy and nutritious dish.