Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 hrs
Adapted from BHG.
- 5 -6 cups cubed eggplants (1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (or 14.5 oz can tomatoes, cut up)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes (if using canned, include the liquid), and garbanzo beans.
- Sprinkle the ginger, mustard seeds, coriander, curry powder, and pepper over the vegetables.
- Pour the broth over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.
Have been making this since 2005 out of our BH&G Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook. DH adds his jarred sauces (e.g. Patak's) and loves this! Thanks for posting, ratherbeswimmin'!
This was pretty good but my husband said it needed more textural variety. There was a ton of leftovers but when I ate some the next day for lunch, they had gotten very, very soggy and unappetizing. Maybe I overcooked it. I probably would not make this again since I like to cook things that I can eat all week.
This is so full of vegetable goodness that we ate it as a stew over rice rather than as a soup.I scaled the recipe down and my crockpot was full. I think we will be eating this recipe in one form or the other for the rest of the week.Brilliant recipe when your eggplants are producing copious amounts of fruit :).