Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
From a national supermarket. Serve with coriander leaves and yoghurt.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 onion (larged chopped)
- 118.29 ml curry paste (Rogan Josh)
- 400 g tomatoes (can diced)
- 236.59 ml beef stock
- coriander leaves, to serve (optional)
- yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan forced oven).
- Heat the oil in a 10 cup capacity flameporoof casserole dish.
- Brown the shanks in 2 batches over high heat on stove top and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until very soft and brown.
- Add the curry paste and cook stirring for a minute and then stir in the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
- Return lamb shanks to the pan, cover tightly and bake for 2 hours in the oven or until the meat is very tender (this could depend on the size of the shanks).
- Serve and top with the coriander and serve the yoghurt.
Delicious! I made the full recipe using two large shanks so cooked for three hours which was so tender I ate mine using a fork. The excess curry (from just making two serves) was great served over mashed potato.
Yummy Pat! I sprayed my pan with spray oil then browned my shanks, then cooked my onion in athe bit of fat that rendered out of them. I added a big spoon of garlic and after tasting my curry paste, used water instead of stock. We are salt lovers, but stock would have made the dish WAY too salty, so I suggest a quick sampling of the paste first. I love shanks and this one was an exceptionally good recipe for so very little effort.
Fall off the bone tender and SO flavorful!! Will make again. Thanks.