Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Has a little spice to it, but is not overly hot.
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- freshly ground salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 chilies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 700 g ground lamb
- Cook the potatoes in plenty of lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain well and mash with, turmeric, coriander, milk and seasonings; set aside.
- Potatoes could be done in the microwave.
- Heat a little oil in a pot and gently sauté the onions, chillies, garlic and ginger until slightly coloured.
- Add cumin, garam masala and sambel.
- Mix well and add lamb mince, together with more oil if needed.
- Cook, mashing and stirring the meat until it changes colour and separates.
- Then add tomatoes, stock and seasonings.
- Stir well and cook until thick and fragrant.
- Transfer meat mix to an oven proof dish and top with potato, spreading out into an even layer.
- Cook in oven about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Oven should be preheated to 200dC.