Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
A slightly different carrot salad, but easy to make.
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 -2 dried red chili, broken in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- Place the grated carrots in a serving bowl.
- In a small frying pan put the oil, black mustard seeds and broken red chili pieces.
- Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds pop for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots and stir to blend.
- Add the salt, sugar and lemon juice and mix again.
- If desired, add the raisins.
- Chill until serving time.
A very nice carrot salad! We enjoyed the smoky flavour of the mustard seeds, and the hint of spice from the chili complimented but did not over power. We added just a touch of rice vinegar, as we found there was not quite enough acid from the lemon. Next time we make this we will add a little extra of the toasted mustard seeds. Thanks very much for this tasty salad.