Recipe by tigerduck
Ready to try something new? It needs a little bit of time to stuff the zucchini, but you can do it in front of the TV. This dish is in particular nice as part of a vegetarian Indian meal. Serves 4-6 as part of a meal. The recipe has been adopted from Madhur Jaffrey's Eastern Vegetarian Cooking.
- 3 ounces freshly grated coconut (85g) or 3 ounces desiccated coconut (85g)
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground asafoetida powder (optional)
- 6 medium zucchini (about 2 1/2lb or 1125g)
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the coconut, fresh coriander, green chilli, 3/4 tsp salt, and asafetdia in a bowl. If you use desiccated coconut, add a little bit of water to make a paste. Rub the mixture well with your hands.
- Wash and trim the zucchinis. Cut them into 1 1/2-in (4-cm) -long chunks. Sit the chunks on one of their cut ends and make two deep slits, like a cross, going 1 in (2 1/2cm) down their lengths. The chunks will seem quartered at the top but will remain whole at the bottom.
- Now gently prize apart the cut sections and stuff with the coconut mixture. I use a knife to do the stuffing.
- Pour the oil as well as 4 fl oz (1 dl water into a large), 12-14 in (30-35-cm frying pan). You can also use two smaller frying pans. Carefully place all the zuchhinis, stuffed side down, in the pan. If there is any stuffing left over, sprinkle that, as well as 1/4 tsp salt, the black pepper, lemon juice, and sugar on top. Bring to a simmer, cover tightly, lower heat and simmer gently for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Using two spoons, turn the zucchini pieces over gently so their quartered, stuffed sections are on top.
- If cooking liquid has evaporated, add a little more hot water. Cover again and cook another 7 to 10 minutes. The zucchinis should be cooked through but retain some of their crispness. There should be no liquid left in the frying pan.
- Serve immediately.