Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fast, tasty, healthy... what more do you need? Using this as a quick side for roast pork to balance out the Christmas cookies. LOL Received in an email from gourmet-recipes-from-around-the-world. Thanks, Pete!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 lb green cabbage, sliced very thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- Heat oil in a large wok over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the mustard seeds, covering the wok with a lid or spatter screen. After the seeds stop sputtering, add the cabbage. Add the turmeric, garlic, salt and cayenne and toss well.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir occasionally until crisp-tender. (The original recipe suggests you cover and steam the cabbage for 5 minutes but I don't have a cover so just mixed it around for 5 to 10 minutes.) Serve hot.
My MIL (Indian) makes this and it is to die for--and much simpler than a lot of other Indian cooking. :) This is one of my favorite side dishes.