Indian Spinach/Paalak Fry
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 bunch spinach, finely chopped
- mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon bengal gram dal (look for chana dal at an indian store)
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 red pepper (capsicum - if you dont have red use green but it changes the taste)
- 2 dried red chilies (use red chilli flakes if you dont have this)
- 1⁄4 sweet white onion (if you are in india use a whole white or red onion)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 -5 curry leaves (optional)
- italian dressing oil (use ordinary oil if you dont have it)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed with
- 2 teaspoons ginger, to make a paste
- Cut very finely/grind the spinach.
- Keep aside.
- Heat the butter/oil/ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin.
- When they begin to pop, add the bengal gram and fry till it turns lightly golden.
- Add the italian oil and the peppers and the onions.
- Fry till done, then add chillies and curry leaves.
- When almost done add the peas and garlic ginger paste and then the spinach/spinach paste.
- Add salt to taste.