Recipe by DailyInspiration
I prepared this wonderfully fragrant dish as a meal (vs. side dish) and served it with some Naan bread. My husband rated this dish a "9" on a scale of 1 to 10.
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced and drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb cauliflower floret (1 medium head, cored and trimmed)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lemon juice and grated ginger in a small cup and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add oil. Saute onion and cook until onion begins to brown (approx. 4 minutes). Add jalapeno and continue cooking until onion is brown all over (4-5 minutes). Add tomatoes, cumin, coriander, tumeric, cardamon, cloves and salt. Stir and cook one minute. Add drained chickpeas and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if mixture becomes dry.
- In a separate pan, combine cauliflower and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring carefully every minute or so until cauliflower is tender (approx. 7 min.). Uncover cauliflower and boil off any excess liquid. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice mixture. Combine cauliflower with chickpea mixture and add in chopped cilantro.
- Serve with a green salad and naan bread or as a side dish.