Recipe by Sue Lau
A nice spicy side dish for curries and other Indian dishes! Can easily be part of a Western meal- serve with steaks and a potato dish for an interesting change of pace.
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat and cook cumin seed until they sizzle and fragrance is released.
- Add onion and cook until tender; then stir in peas, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, salt, and water, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala and cook for a few minutes more, until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with other dishes such as dal, and curries; have some steamed basmati rice, a crisp salad, a selection of warm breads, and an herb plate available.