Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- condiments (such as sliced bananas, pineapple chunks, sliced green onions, and or chutney) (optional)
- In a large skillet cook pumpkin seeds over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet cook and stir ginger in hot oil over medium heat for 1 minutes. Add squash and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until squash starts to brown. Stir in the cranberries, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and curry powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Carefully add broth to squash mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until squash is tender but not mushy. Spoon over rice and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. If desired, pass conidments.