Recipe by GrandpaToot
Sweet potatoes cut in steak fry fashion are tossed with olive oil and Indian seasonings for a great side dish that beats candied yams any day -- healthwise and flavorwise.
Top Review by Susie D
Other than cutting the sweet potatoes into thin sticks I followed the recipe. The Indian spices were a nice change of pace & really good. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the sweet potatoes. If they are average size, cut them in half lengthwise. Lay each half flat on the cutting board and cut it into four slices. These should be between 1/4 and 1/2-inch slabs.
- Put the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle on the seasonings and then pour on the olive oil.
- Use your clean hands to toss the potatoes with the other ingredients until all is evenly distributed.
- Set aside and allow the potatoes to marinate for 1/2-hour or more, depending upon the timing of your meal.
- When you are ready to cook, spray a shallow sheet pan with a light coat of oil to prevent sticking and then pour out the potatoes, distributing them evenly and avoiding any stacking.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of an oven preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the fries are looking crisp. Serve hot.