Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Per serving: 213 calories, 3.3 g fat, 24.1 g protein, 20.3 g carb, 1.1 g fiber, 162 mg cholesterol. Marinate time 1-2 hours.
Top Review by BettyBoop330
When I finally got my act together, I found this excellent. I followed the recipe except that I didn't have cardamom, and I didn't use tortillas, but combined with cooked Jasmine rice. I originally made a mistake and thought there wasn't enough spice, but then I realized that I had misinterpreted the amount of shrimp. I started with about 2 pounds of shrimp. By the time they were thawed, peeled & cleaned, there was maybe a little over 1 pound to use. I got mixed up, thinking that I should make half a recipe. I halved the spices, and continued with the recipe. After it was cooked, the family found it a little bland - looking over the recipe I realized my mistake. I therefore mixed together half measurements of the spices, and poured them over the cooked shrimp, which I had put on top of the rice, and refrigerated overnight. When I reheated, the spiciness was perfect for me - unfortunately for them, the rest of the family wasn't there to enjoy the dish! (Fortunately for me!)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 (6 inch) fat free tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 8 ingredients together in a small skillet; place over medium-high heat.
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly; stir in salt.
- Cool mixture.
- Add spice mixture and shrimp to a large heavy-duty plastic zip-lock bag; shake around to coat shrimp.
- Seal and marinate in refrigerator 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp mixture; stir/saute for 7 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Warm tortillas by following the package directions.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up one-sided burrito style.