Recipe by Anu
This rice dish takes very little time to prepare and most of the ingredients are found in the common kitchen. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and altered it to add that little "heat" I thought it needed. Serve this with a plain lentil dal (stew) or curry, or with a plain raita or cold yogurt.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Great recipe, Anu. So full of great flavors, it made me want to get up and dance (he-he). I used cayenne instead of red chili powder for a little more zing. I used basmati rice which I think goes well with the exotic blend of spices. This was our main dish and I served it with other steamed vegetables. Very filling and satisfying and a great vegetarian meal. Thanks.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked basmati rice or 1 1⁄4 cups jasmine rice or 1 1⁄4 cups long-grain rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently until they have softened.
- Sprinkle in the ginger, garlic, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, red chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook for 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and saute the rice with the spices for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now add the lentils and salt into the saucepan.
- Add 3 cups of water into the pan, stir.
- Place the potatoes into the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the bell pepper, peas, and raisins into the saucepan.
- Stir well, then cover the pan again.
- Cook 10 minutes more, or until the rice, potatoes, and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the butter, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy.